TSC Member Friday Five: July
We recently started a new series on our Insta stories – Friday Five. Meet these TSC members who were spotlighted in July… you’ll be sure to enjoy learning more about them!
Shop Ginny Moon
- What was your last online order? I could write a whole post on the odd things I’ve bought in quarantine, but the most recent and best loved was a pack of funny animal socks for my 12-year-old’s birthday.
- Favorite small business(s) to support? I love that my bank has managed to remain locally owned, I adore my hairstylist and her little at-home salon (my roots miss her desperately right now) and I’m crazy about Peacock Republic’s Mint Bliss Soap!
- It’s the weekend— what are you watching and/or reading? I’m watching Dude Perfect or The Slow Mo Guys. I live in a house FULL of boys and chick flicks are few and far between. Reading up on vacation destinations, home decor blogs \and whether or not above ground pools are a good idea 😉
- Business leader or motivational/inspirational leader we should be following? I love designcuts.com for great package deals on fonts and graphics, and I get lots of useable info from aeolidia.com and The Unofficial Shopify Podcast.
- How do you practice self care? Long walks are my absolute favorite.
Windy O’Connor Art & Home
- What was your last online order? I ordered a Light Ring for making videos and Graybill and Downs candles!
- Favorite small business(s) to support? Favorite business is hard!!!! I have so many! I want to support all of my friends’ businesses because I want them to thrive!
- It’s the weekend— what are you watching and/or reading? I am watching Netflix and PBS! I love all of the PBS cooking shows. READING????? Hmmmmm
- Business leader or motivational/inspirational leader we should be following? Oprah and Rachel Hollis
- How do you practice self care? I practice self-care by praying, exercising and making sure that I spend time in nature. I have also spent some time with energy work. It is fascinating!
17th Street BBQ
- What was your last online order? I’ve been burning up the internet! I’ve ordered handbags from Pamela Munson, athleisure from Sweaty Betty, caftans from Frances Valentine, and swimsuits Bare Necessities — wishful thinking? Have also sent multiple care packages of pharmacy items and candles from Darling’s Fine Things and Southern Baked Pie to my son in NYC.
- Favorite small business(s) to support? Favorite small businesses to support — Sarra Studios make-up and skincare, Waterhouse Decor for the perfect antique accents, Sasha Nicholas for keepsake custom gifts, Darling’s Fine Things for gifts, Boy Smells candles, and One Love Organics skincare.
- It’s the weekend— what are you watching and/or reading? I am so exhausted every night, I’m not watching/reading anything right now. I have to get back to my stack!
- Business leader or motivational/inspirational leader we should be following? Seth Godin is always on point. I’m also learning and expanding my mind so much with Hitha Palepu’s Five Smart Reads — posted every day in her Instastories.
- How do you practice self care? A steaming hot epsom salt bath every night, complete with candles and a cocktail. I’ve also been ordering Lewis Miller Design’s Flower Flash boxes — arranging flowers is so therapeutic and, with proper care, they easily last a week.
Tricia Heaton Designs
Boca Grande, Florida + Dorset, Vermont
- What was your last online order? Two sets of monogrammed towels from Weezie Towels. I prefer white towels and having colored trims and monograms on them makes my heart joyful. I ordered two different colors with two different monogram styles. I also ordered from Assouline a big, gorgeous hot pink book called Mother and Child by fabulous photographer Claiborne Swanson Frank.
- Favorite small business(s) to support? When the pandemic first started and shops were completely out of cleaning supplies I started purchasing lovely products from The Laundress. I have been very happy with their whole line including scented vinegar and special laundry products to replace dry cleaning. I am embracing cleaning like never before.
Needlepoint is all the rage while everyone is at home during this challenging time. As a needlepoint designer I always make a big effort to support local needlepoint shops. I have been directing my customers to shops around the country that will mail them fibers to use to stitch our canvases. I created a page on my website to help customers find these shops.
We are in our summer home in the Green Mountains of Vermont. We enthusiastically joined a CSA that provides amazing food from all the local farms. Weekly boxes contain items like fresh produce, homemade hummus, Vermont cheeses, local honey, bacon, yogurt, fresh baked bread, and handmade soaps.
- It’s the weekend— what are you watching and/or reading? A signed copy of Julia Alverez’s new book Afterlife is on my night table and I can not wait to dig in!
Old friends Cary Grant, Grace Kelly, Doris Day, and Katherine Hepburn are always in the queue. I am currently taking a reprieve from the classics and am deep into Netflix. I polled my Instagram followers for suggested shows to binge, and they came up with a terrific list. We recently finished Ozark and now I am deep into Money Heist. As a needlepoint enthusiast I am so happy to sit by a fire, in front of a great show, and stitch away for a great escape.
I will also catch up with my wonderful pal Margot Lar. If you haven’t checked out her Instagram account, I highly recommend it. Margot hand paints the most stunning glassware. You may have seen it in showhouses and shelter magazines.
- Business leader or motivational/inspirational leader we should be following? My new favorite is Drew Barrymore! Drew owns a production company and a beauty business and is currently at home with her two little girls. She has started a blog and is making videos that speak a lot of truth about the trials and tribulations of what everyone is going through. Her blog post about an incident that happened during a zoom meeting is spot on and had me crying laughing. Her sincere spirit is heartwarming.
Business of Fashion has had fascinating podcasts with leaders in the fashion industry about life now and how business will look in the future. I was particularly fascinated by an interview regarding the travel business and another one about the Fendi family in lockdown in Italy.
- How do you practice self care? I am married to a man who does not ingest or use any chemicals so over the years I have been inspired to make some great changes to clean skincare and beauty products. There is nothing I love more than a fabulous moisturizer.
I really enjoyed hearing Rebecca Minkoff speak (on our member call) about supplements. I am also a big vitamin and mineral advocate. Since I love to cook and am currently cooking three meals a day, I am particularly focused on nutrition, taste, variety, and creativity. While I really miss restaurants, I have drastically upped my menu game!
Sleep, sleep, and sleep.
- What was your last online order? My last online order was from Amazon and it was for polly bags and the book Small Great Things. My last fun online purchase though was from Show Me Your Mumu, I got a sarong for the summer!
- Favorite small business(s) to support? My favorite small businesses to support are Gaines Jewelers obviously, my local nail salon, Lee Milward Designs, ElevenEleven Clothiers in Birmingham (there are a million more I could list!)
- It’s the weekend— what are you watching and/or reading? I am currently really into ER, the entire series is on Hulu and I am loving it! I am also reading The Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer, which is an historical fiction book based during World War II.
- Business leader or motivational/inspirational leader we should be following? I’m sure most of y’all already follow her, but I love Sara Blakely! The other person I love to follow on Twitter for his wisdom is Tim Keller.
- How do you practice self care? I practice self care by laying out by the pool with a book in my hand. I don’t bring my phone with me, so there are no distractions and I just sit and read while enjoying the beautiful Florida sunshine. I also have been going on walks with my mom during the quarantine and that has been something I’ve looked forward to everyday during this!