What’s in Her Bag? Breckyn Alexander | BMA At Home
At The Southern C, our demographics span the creative spectrum, from interior designers to product designers, from clothing store owners to bloggers, from PR companies to photographers.
We want to promote this mix by having members give us a lighthearted sneak peek at the tools they not only use in their trade, but in their lives as women who work. #womenatwork
BRECKYN ALEXANDER of BMA At Home
photograph: McGinnis Leathers for guide2athens
Recently, #tscsummit alum Breckyn Alexander opened up her bag of tricks (literally) and talked to us about the tools and products she uses every day as a designer, shop owner, and woman on the go.
ARE YOU AN EARLY RISER OR A NIGHT OWL?
Night owl. I rely on my Ray-Ban sunglasses to bring me into the light of day.
HOW DO YOU START YOUR DAY?
I read “the Skimm” in bed and flip through Instagram. Then coffee, coffee, coffee–a minimum of three cups.
HOW DO YOU END YOUR DAY?
FAVORITE THING ABOUT THE SOUTH?
MOST UNUSUAL ITEM(S) IN YOUR BAG?
Chalk and painters tape for marking potential locations of art and furniture.
BEST BUDGET FIND YOU USE EVERYDAY?
For my interiors projects, I write everything down, and I love a basic $0.47 composition notebook. I buy them in bulk, so they are likely even cheaper. I carry a cute Kate Spade notebook for my personal lists.
BIGGEST SPLURGE YOU USE EVERYDAY?
Besides my SUV to haul around furniture, fabric bolts, and all my child’s gear, it’d have to be my Nespresso coffee maker.
PRODUCT THAT SAVES YOU THE MOST TIME?
Moroccan Oil shampoo and conditioner. No lie, when I use this stuff, I can go five days without washing my hair. However, if you want to use conditioner, you have to use Moroccan Oil brand as well. I don’t know why, but it works, so I accept it.
MOST VERSATILE WARDROBE STAPLE?
My vintage Donna Karan Black Label lambskin jacket. I wear it over dresses, skirts, jeans and pants. I haven’t tried it with sweats, but it would probably work with them, too.
WHAT’S IN YOUR BAG?
- First off, I love this tote. The color works well with so many shades, from creams to browns and grays to black. This one I got in Athens–my friend Katie at Sonia Says helps me pick these things out–interiors is more my bag than fashion.
- Powder: I had my makeup done by Pout Cosmetics recently and fell in love with this Chantecaille HD powder. Great for combating the Southern humidity.
- guide2athens book: My guide to Athens, literally. I love this little black book. It is always in my bag.
- Pens: I’m partial to Pilot G-2 07 in black.
- Condor Chocolate with Hable wrapper: My store is right next door to Condor Chocolates, and they roast their own beans. The smell is heavenly. They collaborated with artist Susan Hable to create these beautiful wrappers, so it’s literally a piece of culinary art inside a piece of art. Perfection on multiple levels
- Jewelry and scarves: There are many days where I go straight from the store to a meeting or a dinner with friends and family. Changing up my accessories is the quickest way for me to feel like I’ve freshened up a little. I carry a lot of great jewelry from area artists and these scarves from textile artist Daisy Sullivant in my store, so I’m partial to them. Plus, I like knowing that my accessories are a little unusual and not so mainstream.
- Perfume: Quelques Fleur. A classic that you don’t smell on everyone.
- Fibreluxe Mascara. My hairdresser recently introduced me to this brand. It doesn’t smudge. Seriously. It’s funny how the little things can excite me, like not having to wipe mascara off my cheekbones all day.
- Bottle opener: Ok, there are times when I just want to be able to open up a beer bottle. That’s not weird, right?
- “Designer” tools: an architectural scale, tape measure, and paint decks. I also carry a knife I got when I was doing a study abroad in Italy while an undergrad at UGA.
- Blax hair ties. I love a good fish tail braid, especially on the more humid days.
- Louis Vuitton wallet: I’m not as big on labels on the outside, but this one stays in my bag, so really only I know about it. It’s like a secret luxury.