Coterie Crush on Interior Designer: Cathy Austin of Charlotte, NC
We have a Coterie Crush on Cathy Austin because her aesthetic is fresh and chic with fun pops of color and good art set against timeless interiors which matches her playful and smart disposition.
Cathy’s concentration in Art History at Washington and Lee University (was graduated with degrees in English and French) led her to a stint at Sotheby’s in New York where she gleaned extensive insight into fine and decorative arts from the experts. This led to her pursuing her interior design degree from Atlanta’s Foundation for Interior Design Education Research and opening Catherine M Austin Interiors in Charlotte in 2002.
Her favorite project is a client with great art that she can build their interiors around their collection. But this self proclaimed art junkie also loves to help clients start their art collections. Her art background and knowledge of up and coming artists makes this a smart investment.
Check out Cathy’s favorites that she shared with us here…
The Fabulous Freys are masters of taking details from historical patterns, recoloring and rescaling them to make them fresh and modern. They are all incredibly charming as well!
(above: Mil Neuf Cent Vingt Multicolore Inspired by the paintings of Sonia Delaunay)
Originally called “East Indies Flowers,” this pattern was introduced in 1850’s when much of the Oriental porcelain was exported to Europe via East Indian companies. It quickly became a favorite due to the Japanese-style arrangement of flowers. I have been married for 15 years and I never get tired of it. I can do a different tablescape every time I use it because of all of the various colors.
A dirty pink similar to what David Hicks used in a lot of his interiors. I was looking for a color that would tie our art collection together and each work had a touch of this pink somewhere in the composition.
In addition to writing BESPOKE BANTER, I always look forward to reading…
This heavenly scent makes my house seem spotless even when it has not been cleaned for days! It is described as “Early summer in Paris. Heady, powdery linden flowers are enlivened with a splash of bergamot and a touch of herbaceous tarragon. Blossom at its most beguiling.”
I have such a long list of designers I admire….Miles Redd, Mary McDonald, Alessandra Branca, Bunny Williams, Jacques Grange and of course mentors, Jackie Lanham, Cindy Smith and Jane Schwab just to name a few!
SELF PROCLAIMED ARTIST JUNKIE!
(above: she just installed this commission by Amanda Talley in her own home)
Vintage design books, modern paintings and watercolors, and a coterie of creative and inspiring friends
Good manners, a spirited sense of humor, charming hospitality, and Diet Coke!
Your style in five words or less:
Curated & Colorful, Personal & Playful
Links to spotlights on other interior designers and tastemakers –
- Cullen O’Steen of Cullen & Co Interior Design
- Holly Phillips of The English Room
- Anna Kristin Yarbrough and Cameron Weaver of Interior Canvas
- Lisa Mende of Lisa Mende Design
- Courtney Barnes of Stylecourt
- Joann Kandrac and Kelly Kole of Kandrac and Kole Interiors
- Roger Higgins of R. Higgins Interiors
- Haskell Harris of Haskell Harris Creative
- Tami Ramsay of Tami Ramsay Design
- Mary Bryan Peyer of Mary Bryan Peyer Designs
- Susan Hable of Hable Construction
- Shani Gilchrist of Camille Maurice
- Lauren Leonard of Lauren Leonard Designs
- Sidney Wagner of Eclectic Interior Design Group
- Angie Hranoswsky of Angie Hranowsky Design Studio
- Liz Williams of Liz Williams Designs
- Jill and Steve McKenzie of Steve McKenzie’s
- Chandos Dodson of Chandos Interiors
- Ty Larkins of Ty Larkins Interiors
- Elaine Griffin of Elaine Griffin Interior Design
- Bunny Williams of Bunny Williams Home
- Vicky Serany of Southern Studio Interior Design
- Sandra Ericksen of Sandra Ericksen Design,LLC
- Lori May of Lori May Interiors
- Tobi Fairley of Tobi Fairley Interior Design
- Leigh-Ann Sprock and Leigh Goodwyn of LeuxDeux Dorm
- Jonathan Savage of Savage Interior Design
CHERI HARDEN LEAVY Co-Founder of The Southern Coterie