Coterie Crush: Emilie Hatch of Charleston, SC
We have a Coterie Crush on our new friend we met at The Southern C Summit in Charleston this month. Emilie Hatch and her interior decor blog, Shell & Chinoiserie, have an engaging and light hearted air about them like you would expect from a gal who loves the coast. Her blog takes you on her journey of sprucing up her new home in Charleston and her collaborations with her blogging buddies in the industry. It’s a vibrant place to visit.
PS. She is a girl after any of our hearts when she names an anti-humidity hair product as a southern essential.
Check out Emilie’s favorites that she shared with us here…
As a collection? Quadrille’s China Seas—hands-down.
Our wedding pattern was Vera Wang [for Wedgewood] Grosgrain in gold; at the time I wanted something classic and subtle that could compliment wherever we were going to end-up. I still love our pattern, but two years later I would pick something a bit more bold. Thank God for paint, wallpaper, and fabric 😉
I have inherited some beautiful sets, as well, but I am ashamed to admit I don’t know much about them—luckily I have four older sister who do! I love interior decorating, but unfortunately I would not consider myself much of a chef or even entertainer (so not Southern—I know), so I have never really become invested in china, crystal, or silver…but there’s still time!
I am having a major sea foam-ish moment when it comes to paint color: we just painted our new master bedroom in Sherwin William’s “Sea Salt” and I am loving it, but Julia Ryan just did hers in “Salt Salt” at 50%, which I think is genius. I also love Benjamin Moore’s “Palladian Blue” and “Rainwashed”–both are very serene and similar to “Sea Salt”… Oh, and I love a good lacquered navy, too!
Where do I begin—the list is so long?! I am loyal to The Glam Pad and the lovely blogger behind it, Andrea. Her blog is so colorful and fun and her posts are so informative—each is chock-full of gorgeous images, but also interesting information! Not only is Andrea a talented designer and writer, but she is the definition of generous and thoughtful. One of the best aspects of blogging is the friends you meet along the way, and I am lucky to say Andrea is one of mine!
SUCH a fun question! I love scents because—much like a song—they bring me right back to a special time and place. It took me months to select a scent for my wedding day! (I went with Cartier’s Baiser Volé.)
Don’t get me wrong–I love my Baies (and any Diptyque I am lucky enough to get my hands on), but “Beach Fire” by Mixture is my favorite smell in the world–it is a sexy bonfire in a bottle. My other favorite is “Oak Moss” by Illume—YUM! And I love Tyler Candle Company’s (out of Texas) “Cuddle” scent.
“Nantucket” briar and “Summer Hill” are great go-to scents for everyday, as is Yankee Candle’s “Greenhouse.” Unfortunately, “Greenhouse” is retired so I hoard them whenever they make a rare reappearance. Of course, somewhere in November I switch over to their “Mistletoe” scent, and the Thymes “Frasier Fur” candle 😉
Aaand while we’re on the topic of Christmas scents, the Williams-Sonoma “Winter Forest” kitchen soap suite is the best!!! My mother-in-law got major brownie points for introducing me to that one–I wish I could wash my dishes in it year-round, but then I suppose it wouldn’t be as special. I can’t speak much to china, but oh how I could go on about scents!
I am more of a thrift store gal, buuut a lady never gives away her secrets 😉 Luckily Charleston is chalk-full of both!
How much time do you have? Meg Braff, Ashley Whittaker, Meg Lonergan (of LeSueur Interiors), Jamie Meares, Lauren Liess. And of course Alessandra Branca, Sig Bergamin, Anna Spiro (there are so many talented interior designers coming out of Australia!), Lynn von Kersting (Indigo Seas), John Knott and John Fondas, Barclay Butera, India Hicks, Roxy Te Owens…I am sure I am forgetting someone—there are so many!!!
Hmmm—I suppose I should pay more attention to the artist than the art because I am a bit stumped again! But I would say Slim Aarons, Gray Malin, Kerry Steele, Gitte Brandt, Virginia Johnson, Laura Row. I am having a major illustrations moment and have been following artists such as Mari Robeson, Michelle Grayson, Tiffany Leigh and Dana Mahnke. And I have always gravitate toward pastels and watercolors, abstract seascapes, and I love an old travel or sailing posters!
I was so excited when Meg Braff debuted a line of upholstered furniture last year and I am obsessed with the Roxy Te Owens collection—a girl can never have enough bar carts! I love Barclay Butera‘s beach-y line, too, and I admit I swoon over the Tommy Bahama Ivory Key and Island Estate collections. I wish India Hicks would develop a furniture collection…
Good anti-humidity hair products, like Quidad or Oribe’s! But in all seriousness: monogrammed bedding, pretty personalized stationary, fresh-cut magnolias, and of course a good bourbon! And–although I am anti-smoking and I support oyster bed preservation in South Carolina (it’s an issue!)–I love it when Lowcountry homes feature vintage tobacco baskets and oyster shells re-purposed as décorative accents…
YOUR STYLE IN FIVE WORDS OR LESS:
Vintage, eclectic, feminine, coastal and classic.
Links to spotlights on other interior designers and tastemakers –
- Cullen O’Steen of Cullen & Co Interior Design
- Holly Phillips of The English Room
- Anna Kristin Yarbrough and Cameron Weaver of Interior Canvas
- Lisa Mende of Lisa Mende Design
- Courtney Barnes of Stylecourt
- Joann Kandrac and Kelly Kole of Kandrac and Kole Interiors
- Roger Higgins of R. Higgins Interiors
- Haskell Harris of Haskell Harris Creative
- Tami Ramsay of Tami Ramsay Design
- Mary Bryan Peyer of Mary Bryan Peyer Designs
- Susan Hable of Hable Construction
- Shani Gilchrist of Camille Maurice
- Lauren Leonard of Lauren Leonard Designs
- Sidney Wagner of Eclectic Interior Design Group
- Angie Hranoswsky of Angie Hranowsky Design Studio
- Liz Williams of Liz Williams Designs
- Jill and Steve McKenzie of Steve McKenzie’s
- Chandos Dodson of Chandos Interiors
- Ty Larkins of Ty Larkins Interiors
- Elaine Griffin of Elaine Griffin Interior Design
- Bunny Williams of Bunny Williams Home
- Vicky Serany of Southern Studio Interior Design
- Sandra Ericksen of Sandra Ericksen Design,LLC
- Lori May of Lori May Interiors
- Tobi Fairley of Tobi Fairley Interior Design
- Leigh-Ann Sprock and Leigh Goodwyn of LeuxDeux Dorm
- Jonathan Savage of Savage Interior Design
- Cathy Austin of Catherine M. Austin Interior Design
- Camille Styles of Camille Styles
- Courtney Giles of Courtney Giles Interiors
- Jade O’Connor of Jade O’Connor Design Inc
- Melanie Turner of Melanie Turner Interiors
- Paula Mcintosh of PJM Interiors
- Dominique Delaney of Comfy Cozy Couture
Co-Founder of The Southern Coterie