6 Marketing Ideas to Jumpstart Your Holiday Campaigns
The holiday season is upon us and if you haven’t started to see any holiday marketing campaigns yet, well, get ready.
This time of year shouldn’t stress you out. It can be such a fun time to be in business. Many businesses, such as retail, depend heavily on the holiday season that runs mid-November through New Year’s Day. Yes, the fourth quarter can really make a business’ year financially, but here is one thing you should not skimp on right now: marketing.
The holidays make marketing so much fun – the contests, the deals, the relevant engagement – everyone needs to get into the spirit! However, a good bit of holiday shopping is done online, at via mobile at that.
Here are some of the facts:
- US retail e-Commerce will grow 13.3% this holiday (Source: Signal).
- 66% of consumers with shop both online and in-person. (Source: Adlucent)
- 34% of U.S. consumers say that digital advertising on a website or in a mobile app influences their holiday gift buying. (Source: Signal).
- 30.4% of online sales were placed from phones and tablets during the 2015 holiday season, up over 5% from the 2014 holiday season. (Source: Shelley Media Arts)
- Email marketing drove 20% of online sales during the 2015 holiday season. (Source: Shelley Media Arts)
- E-commerce revenue was up 16.2% on Cyber Monday 2015 compared to Cyber Monday 2014, making it the biggest day in US online shopping history. (Source: Custora)
- Black Friday was “Mobile Friday,” with mobile accounting for 36.1% of orders, up from 30.3% of orders on Black Friday 2014. (Source: Custora)
Now that you’ve seen some of the stats, how does that factor into your marketing plan?
6 Tips to Jumpstart Your Holiday Campaigns
1. Make your accounts festive!
You want your business/brand to be relevant, so that means “decorating” your website and/or social media accounts! Change out your Facebook cover photo to something Christmasy (if you celebrate that) or have your Twitter background be a field covered with snow. Show the world that you are ready for the holidays.
Idea: Use the Elf-Yourself program and share on your social media of you and/or your staff!
2. Post interactive, engaging content.
Ask questions each week, share favorite holiday memories. Connect with your market on an emotional level and get to know them.
Idea: #TBT posts are a great way to spark a conversation!
3. Offer sneak peeks to build buzz.
Let your social media community get in on special deals and products early by offering sneak peeks via your social media channels before any ads run or before anything hits the floors in your store. This is one way to build buzz and interest before an event.
Idea: This would be PERFECT for Snapchat!
4. Offer something exclusive.
People like to have exclusivity. You do not have to do this to be successful, but sometimes this will help you convert those browsers into customers. It can something for Black Friday or Cyber Monday. It could be a month-long discount on a product or service.
Idea: Along with free shipping or a free month of service, throw in a free sample or something totally unexpected to surprise your customer.
5. Mix it up with some traditional marketing.
The holiday season is one time of year you need to have a diversified marketing plan. Make sure to infuse your online holiday marketing plan with some aspects of traditional. Not all of your target audience will be online, so do not forget about those who may not be on social media or who may be using flip phones!
Idea: Visit your local businesses with some homemade cookies with your business card attached.
6. Have fun.
The holidays is all about celebrating after all, so have fun. Enjoy the season and take time to get to know your customers and share this season with them as well.
Idea: Take your staff Christmas caroling!
Are you ready for the holiday season? What tips would you share?